Monday, April 26, 2010

The Toughest Decision

So, it's almost decision time. There is so much to consider and we have no idea where to begin. Brandon and I have been to two cardiology appointments and we now have the cardiologist's recommendation for the possibility of pregnancy.

Our first appointment was just a consultation where she ordered an echocardiogram which is basically an ultrasound of the heart. Results of the echo did show the bicuspid aortic valve however, she noted good aortic valve function and overall heart and lung function. The valve is not leaking or enlarged and there is no visible damage to the valve. I am very thankful to have received these results. It's relieving to know that my heart is as healthy as it can be!

Here is why this is the toughest decision for us to make. During pregnancy, I am at risk for aortic dissection which could cause emergency open heart surgery. She said the risk is very small but it's there. She feels confidant that I should go ahead with a pregnancy. But she also told us that my heart problem is genetic and there is a chance that it could be passed on to a baby. These are the reasons that we are stuck and not able to make a decision. We have been praying and soul searching with no avail! It feels like this decision is all that I can think about right now. Brandon and I have decided to keep praying, thinking and soul searching before we make a final decision.

The next step is to take all of this info to my OB/GYN for her opinion. They could order genetic testing if they feel there is a need. We shall see.