Yes, yes, it is true, I am actually leaving the country to head to Jamaica! I know shocking right?! Well, I will say that in true me fashion, I am super nervous but the reason for going far out weighs the anxiety. My bestest friend will be getting married and thus our journey to Jamaica to be with her on her wedding day! Laura and I met almost 10 years ago in college and have remained the best of friends ever since. I am so excited to be able to support her and celebrate with her when she gets married. So, wish me luck with this adventure.
Although I am so happy to celebrate with Laura, Jamaica also marks an important time for Brandon and I. Way back in April when we were first faced with the decision of pregnancy versus adoption, we only made one decision. We decided that we wouldn't make that decision until we return from Jamaica. Brandon and I have taken the time to soul search and pray over this decision separately so that when we return, we can bring our thoughts and ideas together to make our final decision. Little did I know how fast that time would fly by! We will return from Jamaica needing to make one of the most important decisions. Of course only God knows what the future will hold. We leave it in His hands for now.
So, off to Jamaica we go..............
Wednesday, August 11, 2010
Monday, April 26, 2010
The Toughest Decision
So, it's almost decision time. There is so much to consider and we have no idea where to begin. Brandon and I have been to two cardiology appointments and we now have the cardiologist's recommendation for the possibility of pregnancy.
Our first appointment was just a consultation where she ordered an echocardiogram which is basically an ultrasound of the heart. Results of the echo did show the bicuspid aortic valve however, she noted good aortic valve function and overall heart and lung function. The valve is not leaking or enlarged and there is no visible damage to the valve. I am very thankful to have received these results. It's relieving to know that my heart is as healthy as it can be!
Here is why this is the toughest decision for us to make. During pregnancy, I am at risk for aortic dissection which could cause emergency open heart surgery. She said the risk is very small but it's there. She feels confidant that I should go ahead with a pregnancy. But she also told us that my heart problem is genetic and there is a chance that it could be passed on to a baby. These are the reasons that we are stuck and not able to make a decision. We have been praying and soul searching with no avail! It feels like this decision is all that I can think about right now. Brandon and I have decided to keep praying, thinking and soul searching before we make a final decision.
The next step is to take all of this info to my OB/GYN for her opinion. They could order genetic testing if they feel there is a need. We shall see.
Our first appointment was just a consultation where she ordered an echocardiogram which is basically an ultrasound of the heart. Results of the echo did show the bicuspid aortic valve however, she noted good aortic valve function and overall heart and lung function. The valve is not leaking or enlarged and there is no visible damage to the valve. I am very thankful to have received these results. It's relieving to know that my heart is as healthy as it can be!
Here is why this is the toughest decision for us to make. During pregnancy, I am at risk for aortic dissection which could cause emergency open heart surgery. She said the risk is very small but it's there. She feels confidant that I should go ahead with a pregnancy. But she also told us that my heart problem is genetic and there is a chance that it could be passed on to a baby. These are the reasons that we are stuck and not able to make a decision. We have been praying and soul searching with no avail! It feels like this decision is all that I can think about right now. Brandon and I have decided to keep praying, thinking and soul searching before we make a final decision.
The next step is to take all of this info to my OB/GYN for her opinion. They could order genetic testing if they feel there is a need. We shall see.
Saturday, February 27, 2010
The Next Chapter
I'm really not sure if anyone reads this blog anymore since I started it to keep people updated about the wedding and now the wedding has happened. In case anyone still does, I am keeping you updated =)
So Brandon and I have begun to talk about babies. We are both wanting to move on to the next chapter of our lives which we hope will be being parents. Several factors are playing into the decision as to when this will happen! First being money. We want to be financially stable before bringing a baby into this world. Don't worry, I have worked out a budget and as long as we stay on budget, we are able to save money each month! We need to save enough for a maternity leave for me since I don't get any maternity benefits. The second factor, and more importantly, is my heart. For anyone reading who doesn't know, I have had a heart condition since birth called bicuspid aortic valve (BAV) which causes a heart murmur. This condition has never caused me to be on meds or be on restriction. It's just kind of been there. My doctors want to make sure that my heart and body can handle being pregnant. We are also exploring the genetic factors to determine the risk of passing a heart problem onto a baby. We will begin to explore these health issues at my doctor appointment on March 12. It will probably be months before we have a decision because we all know how quickly the health industry moves. I'll keep you posted!
Brandon and I are hopeful that we will be able to have our own child. However, we have discussed that if this is not possible because of my health or the risk to a baby, we are open to exploring other options. Only time will tell what the future holds for us!
So Brandon and I have begun to talk about babies. We are both wanting to move on to the next chapter of our lives which we hope will be being parents. Several factors are playing into the decision as to when this will happen! First being money. We want to be financially stable before bringing a baby into this world. Don't worry, I have worked out a budget and as long as we stay on budget, we are able to save money each month! We need to save enough for a maternity leave for me since I don't get any maternity benefits. The second factor, and more importantly, is my heart. For anyone reading who doesn't know, I have had a heart condition since birth called bicuspid aortic valve (BAV) which causes a heart murmur. This condition has never caused me to be on meds or be on restriction. It's just kind of been there. My doctors want to make sure that my heart and body can handle being pregnant. We are also exploring the genetic factors to determine the risk of passing a heart problem onto a baby. We will begin to explore these health issues at my doctor appointment on March 12. It will probably be months before we have a decision because we all know how quickly the health industry moves. I'll keep you posted!
Brandon and I are hopeful that we will be able to have our own child. However, we have discussed that if this is not possible because of my health or the risk to a baby, we are open to exploring other options. Only time will tell what the future holds for us!
Thursday, February 11, 2010
Thursday, February 11, 2010
Here are some pictures following our 2 part Snowmageddon. From Friday, Feb. 5 through Wednesday, Feb. 10, we received 45 inches of snow for a total of 75 inches of snow this winter. This has been the snowiest winter on record at Dulles airport. I think we are all starting to feel the effects of cabin fever. Everyone is itching to get out of the house. Our roads are finally close to being travel safe. It's sunny today so much of the snow has begun to melt!

Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Part Deux!
We are now into part 2 of Snowmageddon! Yet another nor-easter is upon us. The snow began to fall last night and has yet again continued throughout the night. We are expected to get 10 - 20 inches more on top of the 32 we got over the weekend. Where will we put all this snow?! The snow banks from the weekend are already up to my shoulders. We are currently experiencing "blizzard like" conditions because of the wind and the drifting. Well, at least I got a snow day out of this one as it is happening during the week instead of the weekend.
I am hoping that the word snow will be out of our vocabulary after this storm ends. This will be a winter to remember for sure! I'll post some pictures once the storm is over.
I am hoping that the word snow will be out of our vocabulary after this storm ends. This will be a winter to remember for sure! I'll post some pictures once the storm is over.
Snowpocalypse, Snowtorious, Blizzard of 2010, SnOMG, Blizzare??
I think I will go with Snomageddon! At least that is what the President of the U.S. has called this 2 part snow storm. I really don't like the fact that my last few blog posts have been all about snow. Well, I guess if it wasn't for the snow, I wouldn't have anything to write about! I am beginning to think that Brandon and I need to live a more exciting life---on second thought, nah, I like our life just the way it is! Now if we could just get rid of this snow, life would be even better.
Our SECOND blizzard this winter (booo! I feel like I am back in Edinboro) started this past Friday in the mid afternoon. Since I only work half day on Fridays, I got home around 12:30 and Brandon and I hit the store for some supplies. Typically we would not have been those people who "stock up" before the big storm but Brandon's mom was in town so we thought we had better get some meals to make. I was determined to make crock pot pork chops on Saturday and chili for the super bowl. Well three stores later, we finally found some ground turkey for the chili! We got home just in time as the snow began to stick just as we were leaving the grocery store. Brandon's mom, Brandon and I were prepared to hunker down for the weekend.
We woke up Saturday morning to no power which means no heat. It had gone out at about 5 am. It was very cold in my house. I tried to layer so I could be up and about in the house but it was just too cold. So back to bed it was! I was able to keep warm in bed. There are still people without power from that storm! The power came back on around 3 pm and snow stopped around 6 pm. Brandon had spent most of the day out shoveling but the accumulations were relentless. When all was said and done we ended up with 32.5 inches of snow. Unlike our blizzard in December, this blizzard caused massive damage throughout the area. The number of people without power and who still remain without power is really sad. Many accidents occurred from the storm including a boy who got hit by a car while sledding not to mention the structural damages. Many roofs of houses and schools have collapsed including an airport hanger. At the conclusion of this storm, we had had more snow total for this winter than both Erie, PA and Buffalo, NY! So not cool!



Our SECOND blizzard this winter (booo! I feel like I am back in Edinboro) started this past Friday in the mid afternoon. Since I only work half day on Fridays, I got home around 12:30 and Brandon and I hit the store for some supplies. Typically we would not have been those people who "stock up" before the big storm but Brandon's mom was in town so we thought we had better get some meals to make. I was determined to make crock pot pork chops on Saturday and chili for the super bowl. Well three stores later, we finally found some ground turkey for the chili! We got home just in time as the snow began to stick just as we were leaving the grocery store. Brandon's mom, Brandon and I were prepared to hunker down for the weekend.
We woke up Saturday morning to no power which means no heat. It had gone out at about 5 am. It was very cold in my house. I tried to layer so I could be up and about in the house but it was just too cold. So back to bed it was! I was able to keep warm in bed. There are still people without power from that storm! The power came back on around 3 pm and snow stopped around 6 pm. Brandon had spent most of the day out shoveling but the accumulations were relentless. When all was said and done we ended up with 32.5 inches of snow. Unlike our blizzard in December, this blizzard caused massive damage throughout the area. The number of people without power and who still remain without power is really sad. Many accidents occurred from the storm including a boy who got hit by a car while sledding not to mention the structural damages. Many roofs of houses and schools have collapsed including an airport hanger. At the conclusion of this storm, we had had more snow total for this winter than both Erie, PA and Buffalo, NY! So not cool!
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)