Well, Brandon and I survived our first church class! I had no idea that so much has to go in to getting married in the catholic church! I new that we had to do the pre-cana classes but I did not know about all the paperwork we have to complete.
Here's the process:
1. We completed our compatibility questionnaire last night which will be sent off for scoring today. It takes about two weeks to get the results back.
2. We need to get current copies of our baptismal certificates from the church in which we were baptized.
3. Each of us have to have 2 different people who have known us for quite some time complete an affidavit that we are free to marry complete with notarization.
4. We have to register for and attend an engagement retreat. We had the option between 2 different retreats. Brandon and I decided that we would attend the Conference for the Engaged. Here's the link if you want to check it out: http://www.arlingtondiocese.org/familylife/marriage_engaged.php
5. We have to meet with the priest 4 more times prior to the wedding. During our next meeting, we will go over the results of the questionnaire as well as have individual interviews with the priest. We also received a book containing reading selections, music selections, etc. for the actual ceremony from which we can choose what we want.
Whew!!! Once we have our baptismal certificates, affidavits, conference registration, questionnaire results and individual interviews, then we will be told whether or not we are approved for marriage. Only then can we look at possible wedding dates if we are approved. We are hoping that we can have all of this done within the next 3 weeks or so with a decision.
It will be a lot of work but well worth it in the end! Brandon and I are a bit overwhelmed right now but continue to remember the ultimate outcome which keeps us sane and on task! We are both very excited about progressing forward and being able to make some concrete decisions. Keep us in your prayers as we begin to embark on our spiritual journey toward marriage.
2 comments:
Good luck to you! :) Brad and I weren't married in a church and we still had to have three marriage sessions before the big day! I am singing for a catholic wedding in November, picking the music is the fun part! :) Thinking of you guys!!!! Hugs!
Apryl
Ah! All of this has brought back memories of the red tape we had to go through! Although, at least when we went through all of that we didn't have to be "approved." (Ridiculous...I'm sorry) Did you take the questionnaire in the same room as each other? We did and were on the "honor system" but kept snickering at the questions.
I hope it all goes well for you guys!
Post a Comment